Universal Care Training is committed to respecting the privacy of its customers. The following policy discusses how personal information received by Universal Care Training will be dealt with.
Universal Care Training is required by law to comply with the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988 (also sometimes referred to as the Privacy Principles Act or the Personal Information Privacy Principles Act) in dealing with its customers.
Information Protection Principles
Universal Care Training must not do anything, or engage in any practice, that contravenes any information protection principles contained in the Privacy Act. In particular Universal Care Training declares that it will:
- Not collect personal information unless:
- the information is collected for a lawful purpose that is directly related to a function or activity of Universal Care Training, AND
- the collection of the information is reasonably necessary for that purpose;
- Not collect personal information by any unlawful means;
- Collect the information directly from the individual;
- Make the individual to whom the information relates aware of:
- the fact that the information is being collected, AND
- the purposes for which the information is being collected, AND
- the intended recipients of the information, AND
- whether the supply of the information by the individual is required by law or is voluntary, and any consequences for the individual if the information (or any part of it) is not provided, AND
- the existence of any right of access to, and correction of, the information, AND
- the name and address of Universal Care Training that is collecting the information and Universal Care Training that is to hold the information.
- Ensure that any information collected is relevant to that purpose, is not excessive, and is accurate, up to date and complete, and that the collection of the information does not intrude on the personal affairs of the individual;
- Ensure that the information is kept for no longer than is necessary, that the information is disposed of securely, that the information is
protected against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure, etc.;
- Ensure that everything possible is done to prevent unauthorised use or disclosure of the information;
- Help an individual to ascertain whether Universal Care Training holds personal information, whether Universal Care Training holds personal
information relating to them, and, if so, the nature of that information, its purpose, and their entitlement to gain access to the information;
- Provide the individual with access to the information;
- Make appropriate amendments (whether by way of corrections, deletions or additions) to ensure that the personal information is accurate, and
relevant, up to date, complete and not misleading;
- Attach to the information, in such a manner as is capable of being read with the information, any statement provided by that individual of any amendment sought;
- Notify recipients of that information of the amendments made;
- Not use the information without ensuring that the information is relevant, accurate, up to date, complete and not misleading;
- Not use the information for a purpose other than that for which it was collected unless:
- the individual to whom the information relates has consented to the use of the information for that other purpose, OR
- the other purpose for which the information is used is directly related to the purpose for which the information was collected, OR
- the use of the information for that other purpose is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of the individual to whom the information relates or of another person;
- Not disclose unless the disclosure is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of the individual concerned or another person;
- Ensure that, if personal information is disclosed to a person or body that is a public sector agency, that agency does not use or disclose the information for a purpose other than the purpose for which the information was given to it;
- Not disclose personal information relating to:
- an individual’s ethnic or racial origin; OR
- political opinions; OR
- religious or philosophical beliefs; OR
- trade union membership; OR
- health or sexual activities.
And, secondly, from the Policies and Procedures Manual…
Universal Care Training abides by the Privacy Act 1988 and keeps student information private. Universal Care Training only collects information that relates to a student’s training and takes all reasonable steps to protect personal information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure including restricted access to electronic files, secure storage of paper files and back up of data.
Students’ files may be accessed by their representatives.
We will only disclose information about clients to others on an “as needs” basis or where required by law. These people or organisations are:
➢ Client’s authorised representatives or legal advisors
➢ Government and Statutory Authorities, where required by law, for example: OLGR, NSW Food Authority, Department of Industry
➢ Information may be made available to Commonwealth and State agencies
Information held by Universal CareTraining about students could include:
➢ Student name
➢ Current & previous address
➢ Telephone numbers
➢ Email address
➢ Drivers licence number
➢ Bank account details
➢ Passport number
➢ Assessment results
➢ Counselling or intervention strategies
➢ Interim transcripts
➢ File notes
Have we got the right information?
Universal Care Training takes all reasonable steps to ensure that information we hold, use and where appropriate disclose to others about students is correct and current. The accuracy of this information depends largely upon students providing us with details such as:
➢ Current address
➢ Telephone numbers
➢ Email Address
Accessing Your Personal File
A student may access their files at any time. To request to see their records a student must apply in writing and lodge with the administration office. Normally access can be provided within 24 hours of the request.
If students find any errors in their records they are to advise Universal Care Training immediately so that the corrections can be made.